Xyphien Forums

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tracer is gay!

Harmless

Towns Guard
Xy$
It's been confirmed!

I get the feeling Blizzard is trying to target the LGBTQ+ community for marketing, but it's kinda great one of the most popular FPSs placed a lesbian on the forefront of the gaming community.

The LGBTQ+ community needs more main character roles, so this is a win.

(Short article below) (Warning: two girls kissing... and a lonely ape looking at his dead father figure.)
http://ew.com/gaming/2016/12/21/overwatch-tracer-confirmed-lesbian/

Thoughts?

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
I'm not really sure why anybody thought it was a big deal. Maybe it's because I'm around LGBTQ+ all of the time (I pretty much live in the art building of a university. Anything goes.), but I've never thought it was a big deal what the orientation of a character or person is.

I'm all for more representation in video games, but it's an FPS. This doesn't exactly affect the game.

Harmless

Towns Guard
Xy$
I guess, so. It's hard to tell, cause I'm bathed in LGBTQ+ media too. I feel that there's a huge divide between the community and the general public. The reason why I'm happy about Tracer is that it's an AAA game that is still in mid-hype. It's small things like that, that heal the divide between the bubble that is the LGBTQ+ Community and the general public.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
I'm kind of in the opposite boat. I think the best way to heal a divide is to not treat this kind of thing like it's special. Because, take this how you will, I don't think being gay is special.

I think the worst to come out of this is the people complaining about the "Male Gaze", if you've seen it on Twitter. It's basically people trying to say that LGBTQ+ characters shouldn't be designed to be attractive to straight people. Even though an attractive person is going to look attractive to anyone who finds them attractive.

Harmless

Towns Guard
Xy$
Completely agree. I think what I was trying to say was more in the vein of more representation of LGBTQ+ in the media.

As far as designing LGBTQ+ characters, I think people are trying to rationalize the differences between what's attractive to someone who's straight and someone who isn't, but that's super subjective and two people with the same orientation might have different tastes.
That said, I haven't seen any examples of what you're describing, so I'm only making assumptions.

Is what I'm saying holding up?

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Ah, okay. A lot of people treat it more like "WE'LL SHOVE LGBTQ+ IN THEIR FACES UNTIL IT'S NORMAL". Which is just wrong. So wrong. (snicker)

And yeah, you're on the right page here. Basically it's people trying to say that Blizzard was trying to bait and switch straight people by making Tracer attractive to a lot of dudes, only to say she's a lesbian later. And, uh, I feel like it shouldn't be a concern, unless people are just that invested in the orientations of characters. (To which I say: Dude, chill. It's a game.)

Harmless

Towns Guard
Xy$
Now that I think about it. Tracer's orientation was reveal in a supplementary comic book for Christmas and none of that is explored in the game, so one could argue that they never really shoved it in anyone's face. But, hey. It's public news, now. The marketing department probably assumed it would make waves so, I don't really think that's a valid point.

As far as baiting and switching straight people... what? No comment. (joking)
I mean, Blizzard designed a lot of these characters to be appealing to the eye. But, to intentionally trick people is kinda pushing it.

On a side note though, I have to say I'm glad I was about to have a civilized conversation on the LGBTQ+ community! (thumbsup) Good stuff.

Amysaurus

Digital Artist
Staff member
Resource Team
Xy$
Yeah, it was just a super weird complaint. I just thought it was a cute story for the holidays. (cheeky)

And yeah, these convos get out of hand so fast sometimes. (snicker)