Xyphien Forums

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shrinking Rpgmaker Game from 528MB to Under 100MB (Google Play's) Limit

~Z~

NPC
Xy$
0.00
Wasn't 100% sure the thread to post this on as I wouldn't really call it a tutorial, more of a dev log into what happened to me when I realized my game was about 5.5 times bigger then google play would except as an Apk. So general discussion it is lol


OK, so you've finished building your game with Rpgmaker and with the brilliant work of Xilefian and the Community Surrounding Rpgmv, we can actually deploy a build to Android! As a ten year plus veteran (if that counts for anything Lol) of Rpgmaker I knew this would look and sound easier then it was, but I have to say between Xilefian's tutorial here and the Wiki here, the process was relatively painless.Until a PEBKAC error occurred, and if your not familiar, that is an acronym for “Problem exists between keyboard and chair...Me.”

8130

My only real issue was I had named my image files with lower case characters at the start, breaking Java Naming rules. I will never make this mistake again though as I assure you all going through every image file you've created in the game with 20 hours of game play to test afterwards was not an enjoyable nor forgettable experience.
So now its all compiled with no errors, we've changed our Id's, web addresses and other customization's and are ready to build our first APK. (The App file extension your phone reads, as opposed to .exe) After its built and you navigate to the build from Android Studio, something sticks out.

As a google developer your app must be under 100MB
excluding expansion files
The size of the file....528MB (Mine before Optimizing)
&!%#& $&$!#^ %^@ (and other illicit phrases) Now What!​

I'll Tell You What I Did to Reduce My Game From 528MB to 92MB
First I didn't remove any of my content and I never excluded the resources through Rpgmakers build process as it often causes Plugins to fail later in development.
I DID manually go through and delete a whopping 200+MB of audio and images from the stock resources that I didn't use, making my next build 328MB.

Now for the files we needed to keep....well check out my devlog lol.
 

Isaac The Red

Towns Guard
Xy$
0.00
Good work, getting things squished down underneath that 100MB limit isn't easy. Still hoping we can get RMMV exported and working with expansion files for games that just cant get squished below that point without severely destroying the quality.
 
Top