Xyphien Forums

Hello Guest!. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, sell your games, upload content, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mount and Blade: Warband

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Xy$
I was just curious if any of our members played Mount and Blade: Warband. I have enjoyed playing this game a lot. I think, looking back, that only Civilization V has had more play time. The mod that I like the most is Floris Companions Evolved.

Mount and Blade is a historical/fiction based game occurring in a pre-gunpowder 1257 in central/eastern Europe with some middle east. There are Vikings, cavalry, mounted steppe archers, plate mailed crossbowmen, etc.

It is a sandbox, so there are many ways to win. You can be independent and try to build an large army and conquer the map. You can become one of the lords' vassal, and help him conquer the world. You can build skills and relations by enlisting in one of the different nations' armies. There are many more options.

Who else has played Warband?

iblamevictoria

Towns Guard
Xy$
Oh jeez yeah I forgot about that game. I put way more hours into it than I'd like to admit. I really liked the Gekokujo mod, and may have spent more hours on it than the main game. It was a mod that simulated feudal Japan, and came along with really nice music.

Really loved the open ended design of the game. I wish more games would take that sort of approach to their sandboxes.

MinisterJay

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Xy$
I do have the Gekokujo mod. I like some of those mods that basically change the vanilla into a lot of different variations.

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Xy$
I bought it over the Halloween Steam Sale, but I haven't really gotten around to playing it.
I played for a few minutes, and it looked like there was a fairly steep learning curve. Unfortunately, I don't want to invest the time to learn the ins and outs of a new game, especially one that's several years old.

Instead, I played Chivalry Medieval Warfare. It's a first person action game where you play as a medieval soldier.

iblamevictoria

Towns Guard
Xy$
Instead, I played Chivalry Medieval Warfare. It's a first person action game where you play as a medieval soldier.
I've heard a little bit about Chivalry and would love to have a go at it, but alas, my computer is actual garbage and can't run it I'm sure. From what I understand though, it seems like it has very similar combat (Mount and Blade seems like it's a little more in depth though, almost to a detriment.).

I think it's probably right to be cautious about approaching the game if you're low on time for that sort of thing. It's very time consuming, especially if it hooks you early. It's complicated and sometimes it can be clunkedly designed. The learning curve is also sharp like you predicted but there is no way to die for good in the game so 'losing' a scenario just ends up with your character being dragged around for a little while and losing troops.

I dunno man. I think it's pretty chill.

sage

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Xy$
I've heard a little bit about Chivalry and would love to have a go at it, but alas, my computer is actual garbage and can't run it I'm sure. From what I understand though, it seems like it has very similar combat (Mount and Blade seems like it's a little more in depth though, almost to a detriment.).
Chivalry is a multiplayer game, so it's very action-based. It's also terribly optimized, so that makes it even worse.
You're right about the gameplay. I wanted to try to cross into Mount and Blade from Chivalry for that reason.

High level Chivalry gameplay is ridiculous though. People spin and twirl around to try to rotate their character while attacking, so that the animation goes a little bit faster/slower for a slight advantage in combat. It definitely breaks your immersion to see a bunch of people spinning and ducking to hit you with their back-swing.

I definitely want to give Mount and Blade a real shot one day.